Major Rules Changes Rule Description Page(s)
1-10 Substitution area adjusted to be 10 yards wide 10, 12
2-12 Shot clock operator shall have back-up device 23
4-6-g Clear redfined as advancing the ball into the offensive half 33
4-15 All possession 80-second shot clock procedures added 40
4-16-a Procedures for advancing the ball into the offensive half added 41
4-16-b Over and back rules adjusted for new shot clock 41
4-21 Goal crease prohibitions adjusted for attacking players 45
6-5-a Definition of screening adjusted for clarity 62
Head Coach Pregame Meeting
• Head coach is required to meet with officials 30 minutes before the scheduled start of the game (Rule 2-7)
Team Conduct/Decorum Pregame and Postgame
• Player behavior during pregame warm-ups is a concern in some cases
• Committee established a 5-yard buffer on either side of the midline as a neutral area during pregame
• Coaches are asked to monitor and discuss sportsmanship issues with their teams; image of the sport is at risk
• Postgame, coaches shall be cognizant of teams crossing at the end of the game, which can create issues
Substitution Box Procedures
• With the rules change, the box itself is 10-yards wide
• A coach/imminent substitution area is established between the substitution box and the team area
• This area is only for coaching and for players who are about to substitute Imminent substitution occurs when the exiting player is within 10 yards of the substitution box. The exiting player has the right of way.
• The overriding principle is for both players to play the ball
• Clamping is allowed on the initial move only; anything more is withholding the ball from play.
• The use of the helmet during the faceoff is a serious concern. The game officials will be asked to determine any potential violation when helmet to helmet contact occurs.